Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Marry the right kind of person

It is far more important to be the right kind of person than it is to marry the right kind of person.......by Zig Ziglar

Coming home on a plane, I noticed that the fellow seated next to me had his wedding band on the index finger of his right hand. I couldn't resist the temptation so I commented, "Friend, you've got your wedding band on the wrong finger.." He responded, "Yeah, I married the wrong woman."

Many people have a lot of wrong ideas about marriage and what it takes to make that marriage happy and successful. I'll be the first to admit that it's possible that you did marry the wrong person. However, if you treat the wrong person like the right person, you could end up having the right person after all. On the other hand, if you marry the right person and treat that person wrong, you certainly will have ended up marrying the wrong person. I also know that it is far more important to be the right person. In short, whether you married the right or wrong person is primarily up to you.

Research, personal observation, and experience prove that stable, sound marriages are not built on the passion of the moment. Realistic (and positive) expectations lead to marriages that last.